Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Visit To Brother Maurice LaPierre

Well here are some pictures of my latest trip to Haiti.  I left last Friday morning at around 7:30am and arrived in Les Cayes at around 10:30pm.  Needless to say it was a long day.  When we arrived at the border it was complete chaos.  There are men, that when they see that you are American, are quick to come and try and "help" you get through immigration and customs.  They told me that I had to pay $25.00 to get my passport stamped to leave the country.  I argued with them for some time, because I had all of the correct paperwork and did not need to pay a dime to leave the country.  I finally told them all to go away and I went up to the window myself and asked the lady behind the glass if my passport was good and up to date.  She just took my passport, stamped it and handed it back to me.  They try to run a scheme between the men and the custom agents.  The men will tell you that you owe $25.00 and then will split the money between them and the customs agent.  Thank the Lord, I was able to make it through both immigration offices without any more problems.

We then got a ride with a "Tap-Tap" into Port-Au-Prince.  This "Tap-Tap" happened to be a 1985-86 Toyota pickup truck.  It was just like the one I used to own in the states, except this one was converted over to a taxi.  They build benches in the back with a colorful covering to protect you from the sun and rain.  Then they try and fit as many people as the can into the back and front of it.  It amazes me what these little trucks can do.

Once we arrived in Port-Au-Prince, we had to find another means of transportation to Les Cayes.  This time we found an old school bus that had been converted to a "Tap-Tap".  They expect to fit at least 3 people in one seat along with your luggage.  Needless to say, you are packed into this thing like sardines in a can.  Not to mention the heat, dust and stench in the air.  Port-Au-Prince is a miserable and depressing city.  Not much has been done since the earthquake last year.  There are still many tent cities and many buildings that are have not been demolished.

When we arrived in Les Cayes, Brother Maurice along with his brother, picked us up and took us to his home.  It was a blessing and honor to be able to spend a few days with this dear brother in the Lord.  He has a wonderful church and he asked me to preach the Sunday morning message.  Please keep this brother and his family in your prayers, as they are facing a lot of difficult issues in Haiti.  He told me that there are three groups that despise what he is trying to do and they are the Catholic Church, Protestants, and Voodoo.  Plus, brother Maurice is trying to bring the French and Kreyol translation of the bible in line with the 1611 King James Version.  Please pray that the Lord will give him wisdom and guidance.  He also told me that the price of things are almost tripling, due to the United Nations being in the country.  I believe that the U.N. is nothing more than the physical army for the Catholic church.  They were all through the city and had there guns out to keep the peace.  China, Japan, Bolivia, Korea, Germany, and many other countries are working for the U.N. in Haiti.  Brother Maurice told me that the U.N. will come in front of the Catholic church and will set up there radios and start to party and dance with the congregation of the church.  He also said the U.N. is raping and molesting young girls and there is nothing anybody can do because they are the "U.N.".  There are some horrible things going on and it is only by the word of God that this country can get any help.

We left out of Les Cayes on Sunday afternoon and had to spend the night in Port-Au-Prince.  Brother Nathan has family in Port-Au-Prince and they allowed us to spend the night in their home.  I'm thankful for the food and shelter they provided for the evening.

Brother Nathan and I arrived back home on Monday.  I'm grateful that the Lord gave us a safe journey and that I was able to visit Brother Maurice. Here are some photos that I took:

Here is the converted Toyota Pick-up truck.

On the streets in Port-Au-Prince.

Brother Nathan and I trying to find some bottled water.

They throw all of their trash and will often urinate into this drainage system.  Needless to say this area does not smell very well.

Making our way through the crowds.



One of the many traffic jams in the city.





These are the converted school buses.  I'm thankful that we did not have to take these back from Bro. Maurice's house.  He found us some nicer transportation for a journey back, which I was very grateful for.
 


There are many piles of trash through out the city.



The Haitian Police station in Port-Au-Prince.


Another traffic jam!

I believe this is a car that was smashed during the earthquake.

Brother Maurice in the Sunday morning service.

The church started to fill up around 7:45 in the morning.  Brother Maurice starts the services at 8:00am sharp.  If any of his members are late, he makes them stand till he says they can sit down.  Some may think this is ridiculous, but I think it is wonderful.  There are reason's why Brother Maurice does this and one is to teach the people responsibility.  If he doesn't do this, the people will be showing up at all times during the service and will be a distraction to the preaching that is taking place.  Let me ask you a question, how often could you be late for your job, before your boss would say something?  And how often would your boss allow this before there where consequences?  If you were in the military, could you be late for muster?  Would you not be punished by your superiors for being late?  Why then can we be late for church and think it is no big deal?  I believe the Lord takes note of this and God forbid we cause a distraction while the Holy Spirit is dealing with someone about salvation.  Let's be on time for the Lord's day!
 

The church is on the side of Brother Maurice's house.  When he first moved in this area was nothing but dirt.  They did a wonderful job converting this area.

Brother Maurice with Brother Nathan.

Brother Maurice and myself.

Brother Maurice's brother and Bro. Nathan.

Constantine wire on top of his walls.  He has had a lot of problems with the people of this area.  He has had death threats and has been held at gun point on two separate occasions.

The front of the house.
His garden that he is working on.

This was the place where he used to get water for the house.  He has since put in another well with a pump.



Brother Maurice and his family.

This is his oldest son, Paul.

A little girl in the city of Port-Au-Prince.

A view from the front porch of the home I stayed in.


This all I have for now.  I hope and pray you all have a wonderful week.  Thank you again for all that you have done for us.

Brother Chris and Family


2 comments:

  1. Amen what a trip! God bless Bro. Maurice for what he is doing there especially against such opposition! Thanks for the pictures too and glad you got back safe and sound! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thank you for sharing brother! Ms. Elsie

    ReplyDelete