Thursday, February 24, 2011

Are you a stranger?

I would just like to take a little time today and ask if you are a stranger to this world?  Does the world look at you in a peculiar way?  I was reading this morning in Psalm 119 and I came across this verse:

Psalms 119:19 I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.

I began to think on this verse and how I am viewed by the world.  Right now, my family and I are in the Dominican Republic.  To the Dominicans we are strangers.  When you travel around down here, it does not take long for you to hear someone shout out "Americano!"  Is the response of me being a Christian that quick?  When you go out into the world, does your life make people say "he or she is a Christian?"  Are we a stranger and pilgrim in this world?  Can we say with the hymnist that "I can't feel at home in this world any more."  I say these things, not to condemn nor put down, but to stir up our minds and hearts to the things of God.  Where are we at with "...him with whom we have to do?"

The bible says:

1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Hebrews 11:13 These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Hebrews 11:14 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. 

What country are you seeking?  I believe today more than ever, that there needs to be a difference in the way a Christian acts, talks, dresses, and conducts himself or herself in this world. 

The line today between Christianity and the world has become so blended that it is shameful.  So called "Christians" can act, talk, dress and conduct themselves just like the world and think everything is "ok"!  The church as a whole needs to do an examination.  Have you been converted?  Does His Spirit bear witness with your spirit, that you are a child of God?

Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 

2 Corinthians 1:22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. 

EARNEST, n. ern'est. Seriousness; a reality; a real event; as opposed to jesting or feigned appearance.

Has the new birth ever occurred in your life.  Can you point to a time in your life,  when the Holy Spirit made you a new creature.  I'm not talking about some feeling you may have had sometime in church, though feeling does often accompany salvation, but a Holy Ghost conviction of your sin, that caused you to repent and turn from your sin and self, to the Lord Jesus Christ.  Do you have the witness of the Holy Spirit on the inside?  Is he a reality?  Did a real event of salvation occur at some point in your life?  God does not jest nor leave you guessing about your salvation.  If you are saved the Holy Ghost should bear witness with your spirit, that you are a child of God. 

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?



Psalms 26:2 Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.

2 Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

2 Corinthians 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

2 Corinthians 6:16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you, 

2 Corinthians 6:18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

To many bible-believing Christians are touching the unclean thing and it is grieving the Holy Spirit.  By touching the unclean thing (the world and its ways), we are hindering what God can do in our homes, churches, jobs and life!

The word of God says:

Psalms 4:1  Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.
 
Psalms 4:2 O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing? Selah. 

Psalms 4:3 But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.

Psalms 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

May we be still, commune with our own hearts, and draw night to God in these last days.  May we allow the Lord to search and try us to see if there be any wicked way in our lives.

Psalms 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:

Psalms 139:24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

John 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.


In Christ our Lord,
Brother Chris  

1 comment: