Saturday, July 30, 2011

Baptist History 2

Good Morning to all!  I hope and pray that you are having a good weekend.  Below is the story of another brother who was willing to give his life for the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  We have been given another day from the Lord, let us be thankful and use if for his glory and honor!

Michael Wideman or Beck, A.D. 1538

About this time also Brother Michael Wideman or Beck was apprehended at Ricten in Allgau, together with some other persons, which other persons, however, were sent home, while this brother was put in prison for the faith.  Many things were resorted to with him, and he was admonished to renounce, but he had a good assurance of his faith in Christ, and said: "When I was living with the world in all unrighteousness, in sins and wickedness, no one admonished me to renounce, but I was considered a good Christian before the world.  But now that I have become converted, and amended my life, I am told to renounce; but I have become converted once, and have renounced all unrighteousness, and in the conversion I will persevere unto the end, and will not be turned from it, for that in which I stand is the true foundation."  After being imprisoned almost half a year, he was beheaded and burned.

This was from the book:  The Bloody Theater or Martyrs Mirror of the Defenseless Christians
(Who Baptized Only Upon Confession of Faith, and Who Suffered and Died for the Testimony of Jesus, Their Savior, From the Time of Christ to the Year A.D. 1660)
Complied from Various Authentic Chronicles, Memorials, and Testimonies, by
Theileman J. van Braght
Translated from the Original Dutch or Holland Language from the Edition of 1660 by
Joseph F. Sohm


No comments:

Post a Comment