Saturday, December 25, 2010

Electric....

Good morning or should I say Good Afternoon from the Dominican Republic!  We have had electricity for 1 1/2 days now!  I believe that they (the Dominican Government) are leaving the electric on  because of Christmas!  We are very thankful for this, it is allowing us to get some laundry done.  I was able to buy a washing machine for Melanie this past week, so I got it just in time.  The washing machines down here work as following:
1.  Manually fill the one side up with water
2.  Put clothes in and wash
3.  Then pull clothes out and put into the ringer, which is right next to the washer
4.  Ring the clothes out for 5 minutes
5.  Then put the clothes back into the washer side to be rinsed
6.  Once the clothes are rinsed, put them back into the ringer
7.  Then hang clothes outside to dry and pray that it is going to be a sunny day.

It is a very tropical climate down here, so you pray that you have a sunny day to dry your clothes.  Lately, it has been very overcast with a lot of humidity.  It's so humid down here some days, that if you have a pack of gum it will get all wet and slimey inside.

We are very thankful that the Lord has given us 2 days in a row of sunshine.  Right now it is about 70 degrees outside with a nice breeze.  I know that some of you up there in the states are freezing right now, so I guess you will have to make a trip down here to warm up (LOL).

Bro. Truel has allowed us to borrow his motorcycle, till we are able to find a vehicle.  Yesterday, I took Ben and Ellie for a ride.  When Bro. Truel dropped the motorcycle off, he told me that he was running it off of the reserve tank because he forgot to put some more gas in it.  So off we went to try and find some gasoline from a cammado ( a little Dominican "Mom and Pop" store).  They sell gasoline in beer bottles, because they don't have gas stations up here in the mountains and most Dominicans can't afford to buy 3 gallons at a time.  Well the first commado we came to didn't have any gas and when I went to start the motorcycle up again it didn't start (it was completely out of gas).  So I had a chose to either push the motorcycle back to the house, or to coast down the mountain that leads into Polo.  I chose to coast into Polo and try to find some gasoline there.  This was about 1 1/2 to 2 miles away.  When we got into Polo I decided to try and go to Bro. Moises house to see if he could help me find some gas.  As we were pushing the bike, we came across Timothy Truel.  Timothy decided to come in from the states for Christmas and suprise his parents.  This was a blessing from the Lord that we ran across him and  he was able to go get us some gas for the motorcycle.  We then came across a man who was selling some roasted chickens on the side of the road.  They smelt so good, that I couldn't pass them by.  Melanie had been wanting some chicken and so I bought one for our dinner that night.  A chicken done like this down here cost around $8 to $9 dollars.  We had not had chicken for a while so I bought it and it tasted real good.  Thank the Lord for all of his benefits to us!

Well I must be going for now, hope and pray you all have a wonderful day.  We love and miss you all very much!

Mom or Dad, could you please send me your email address (chrisweltin@yahoo.com).  Thanks! Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment